Sunday, January 13, 2013

Polar Dash

I like to call it a bit of a Polar Disaster. Runners had the choice of running a half marathon, 10K, or 5K.  I chose the 5K because I didn't think I would be ready for any other distance with my new shoes.  The 5K was a fun run so no individual times were posted, but I kept my time on my Garmin.

Packet Picket: I went on Wednesday at 4:00 to Runner's Edge and it went pretty quickly.  The race swag included a penguin hat- that I will never wear, but might bring it to school for penguin week! And a nice fleece with the polar dash logo on the front chest and back.  

Race Day:  I didn't check any gear, but the gear check seemed a little long.  All of the races started on time which was fantastic.  The 10K and Half had similar courses, but the 5K was a different course.  As we were running we passed a two mile mark and and everyone was saying 5K went to far turn around, so we all turned around thinking that this would then be a 4 mile run which I was ok with and when we turned around we got to see my favorite view of the city!! Then as everyone is turning around, things got super crowded all runners were turning around and fast runners were sharing the same narrow path as the slower runners.  Many runners including me were running on a hill.  I saw one runner fall and that made me very nervous.  The path got a little longer and then we were ok, but then we crossed the finish line and my Garmin said 2.85 because it wasn't out and back, we went a different way back.

I was a little disappointed that the race wasn't 3 miles, so I ran to my friends house in the Near South Side for breakfast and had a total of a 3.5 run.  It was perfect.

Overall the race was crowded and poorly marked, but it got me back in the racing and running spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment